- Conduct biological surveys and secure environmental permits for development of the Glenwood residential development
- Prepare management plan for the Glenwood Preserve
- Assist with preserve management and monitoring during initial development of the Preserve
In the late 1990s, WRA began working with the developers of the Glenwood residential development in Scotts Valley in Santa Cruz County to conduct biological surveys and prepare U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Regional Water Quality Control Board, and California Department of Fish & Game (CDFG) permits for the development. As a condition of approval, the developers were required to preserve 160-acres of habitat for federally endangered Ohlone tiger beetle and Scotts Valley spineflower and federal species of concern Opler’s longhorn moth, in addition to sensitive wetland and riparian habitats.
Working with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) and the CDFG, WRA prepared a Preserve Management Plan for the Glenwood Preserve in 2003, which presents strategies for adaptive management of vegetation and protected species habitat and focuses on the use of horse grazing as a primary tool to maintain suitable habitat for the beetle and spineflower. The use of adaptive management is a key component of the plan. WRA prepared Corps, RWQCB, and CDFG permits including wetland and riparian mitigation and monitoring plans for the housing development.
WRA is currently working with the City of Scotts Valley, the Land Trust of Santa Cruz County, and the USFWS to develop a Long Term Management Plan and Habitat Conservation Plan that incorporates trail access and interpretation for the public while protecting sensitive biological resources. The Plan will serve as the basis for a USFWS Biological Opinion and Section 10 approval and agreement by the Land Trust to manage the Preserve.
- Rare plant and sensitive wildlife species surveys
- Wetland delineation report
- Section 401, 404, and 1602 permits
- Wetland, riparian, and grassland mitigation plans
- Construction documents and specifications for wetland and riparian grading and planting
- EIR mitigation monitoring and reporting program report
- Open Space Management Plan
- Annual mitigation and preserve monitoring reports
- Long Term Management Plan and Habitat Conservation Plan