Meet the WRA Landscape Restoration Team
Senior Restoration Contractor
Jason leads WRA Landscape Restoration. He is a licensed California landscape and tree service contractor, and Certified Ecological Restoration Practitioner with 20 years of experience in the field. He developed his natural resource skills through various positions with land management agencies as well as private restoration groups, and went on to train and lead crews as a Supervisor with the Conservation Corps. Jason continued to further his skills in graduate school with coursework focused on the plant and fire ecology of California. His research on prescriptive fire and invasive species control awarded him a master’s in science with distinction. Jason went on to teach in the biology, ecology, and evolution to undergraduate students for several years before returning to the field where he continues to research the effects of invasive plant control methodology in conjunction with restoration practices. He most recently served as Senior Ecologist and Restoration Program Manager for the Sonoma Ecology Center providing land management as well as consultation, planning, design, permitting, and implementation for restoration, fire fuel reduction, erosion control, and other natural resource management projects.
- M.S., Biogeography with distinction, California State University, Chico
- B.A., Environmental Analysis and Policy, Boston University
Licenses / Certifications
- Licensed Landscape (C27) Contractor: CA No. 942147
- Licensed Tree (D49) Contractor: CA No. 942147
- Certified Wildland Fire Fighter I-II, Central California Prescribed Fire Counsel Certified Advanced Sawyer III and Chipper- Marin Conservation Corps
- Certified Wilderness First Responder- University of California Santa Barbara
Select Clients and Projects (*prior to WRA)
- Villa Mira Vista Open Space, Collins Management, Contra Costa County, California
- San Francisco Estuary Invasive Spartina Project, California Invasive Plant Council, Various Tidal Sites in San Mateo County, California
- Fire Fuel Reduction, Pacific Union College/Napa Firewise Counsel, Angwin, Napa County, California*
- Annual Management of the Montini/Sonoma Overlook Trail Preserves. City of Sonoma Public Works, Sonoma County, California*
- Annual Management of the Van Hoosear Wildflower Preserve, Marin Community Foundation/Sonoma County Ag + Open Space District*
- Debris Management Zone 3A Sonoma Creek Watershed, Sonoma Water, Sonoma County California*
- Management and Maintenance of Montini & Sonoma Overlook Trail Preserves, City of Sonoma, Sonoma County California*
Miles Avery, Restoration Operations and Project Manager
Miles was raised in Berkeley, California, and received his undergraduate degree from University of California, Santa Cruz in Environmental Studies/Agroecology. He gained hands on experience in habitat restoration through an AmeriCorps internship with the San Francisco Recreation and Parks Dept. Miles has led habitat restoration and park maintenance projects throughout the Bay Area, working with a variety of park districts as a Crew Leader for the Student Conservation Association. He earned his QAC while working as a Senior Nursery Technician at U.C. Berkeley and gained practical experience in IPM in both field and greenhouse settings. As a Supervisor at WRA, Miles holds a QAL and is responsible for overseeing herbicide applications and compliance, as well as supervising our team of Restoration Technicians in wide variety of field work.
Alex Mokhtari-Fox, Restoration Crew Supervisor
Alex received a B.A. from the University of California, Santa Cruz and completed a tropical biology internship in Panama, where he gained field surveying skills. From there he went on to complete an intensive wilderness course at Alderleaf Wilderness College focused on plant identification, restoration, and survival skills, gaining a Permaculture Design certification, Animal Tracking Level II certification, and a Naturalist Education certification. Alex continued to pursue additional coursework through Merritt Colleges Conservation and Resource Management program. He continued to use these skills through a restoration and education internship for Friends of Sausal Creek in Oakland, and worked as an Environmental Educator for East Bay Regional Parks, City of Berkeley, and Alameda County Resource Conservation District. His passion and knowledge of native plants and ecology combined with his field skills are a great contribution to the Landscape Restoration team at WRA.
Conner Cummings, Restoration Technician
Conner was born and raised in the Napa Valley, California. He earned his B.S. Degree in Ecology and Environmental Science from St. John’s University in Queens, NY and spent the subsequent summer with the Sea Education Association (SEA Semester) taking classes, researching, and living on a tall ship in the Phoenix Islands Marine Protected Area in the South Pacific. Growing up in wine country, Conner is no stranger to long hours, hard work, and varying conditions. Working at WRA Landscape Restoration is his first foray into the conservation and restoration realm. Conner was recently trained in efficient irrigation principles and sustainable landscaping practices, earning his Qualified Water Efficient Landscaper (QWEL) Certification.
Rachel Suding, Restoration Technician
Rachel was born and raised in Santa Barbara, California and received her undergraduate degree from University of California, Los Angeles. She previously worked primarily in the field of human resources, while pursuing her passion for habitat restoration through volunteer work with the Golden Gate Audubon Society and San Francisco Recreation & Parks Department. Rachel recently made a career change, to pursue her environmental passion full time as an active member on the tree care team at an urban forestry Americorps fellowship. She is continuing to develop her skills on WRA’s Landscape Restoration team, a field that aligns perfectly with her values on environmental protection, restoration, and sustainability.