We’re here to make a positive lasting impression.
Making our mark from the very start
We’re celebrating more than 40 years of environmental expertise and partnership. Check out our timeline by the decades to learn more about our journey.
- Mike Josselyn and Jim Bucholz founded Wetlands Research Associates in 1981 to apply their academic wetland research at San Francisco State University to provide regulatory permitting and restoration services to private and public entities working in wetland environments, in support of Clean Water Act compliance.
- As environmental policy and restoration science evolved, WRA represented clients in landmark court cases, wrote technical papers and books on wetland restoration, and participated on panels at conferences and seminars
- Added wildlife biologists to address endangered species issues, an ecological-focused landscape design practice to support habitat restoration, and GIS experts
- WRA became an S-Corp, employee-owned company
- Changed our name to WRA, Inc. to encompass the interdisciplinary nature of our work
- Expanded our geographic reach to southern California to better serve our existing and future clients in the region
- Added or expanded mitigation banking, environmental planning, restoration engineering, compliance monitoring, and drone service lines
- Added a subsidiary company, WRA Landscape Restoration, a fully licensed contractor to provide implementation and maintenance services
- Rebranded to align with our company Vision
- 4 offices in California and growing our distributed workforce in 5 western states
- More than doubled our number of employees in 6 years to over 100
- 1/3 of our team members are owners